From: "Gregg Sharp" An Opponent, the Bet (expanded version) (dark) metroanime@mindspring.com http://metroanime.home.mindspring.com/ insert standard disclaimer here about not owning characters. some scenes written specifically for Razorclaw, Kleppe, & Rgorman who were quite vocal in how much they hate non-jerk/powerful Ranma variants. (1) ---------------------------------- "What's the gripe?" Toltiir looked towards a small group of godlings, demons, and assorted beings. "They were looking at some of these Bet timelines and feel that Ranma's too powerful in 'em." "Did you see the King Of Fighters variant where Shampoo vanished on the way back to China, then shows up back in Nerima, not having returned home in failure but now capable of 'Son Goku' style devastation?" "No." "Mode 4, Timeline 3694128. Basically she shows up, beats him up, carries him back home to her village, and the Nichieju decimate the Musk in the next battle." "That wasn't the point anyway," Ares pointed out. "They feel that with the Ranma of 'King of Fighters', 'Dragon's Destiny', 'Cat scratch fever', and 'Neutral Ground' that his power level is such that he can't possibly find a decent fight." "Yeah, right. I thought I heard 'em saying that having everything duplicate is boring. So why should they face the same opponents?" Toltiir snorted. "You noticed that in the first, he made a long list of enemies getting that powerful, in all four he's drawing world-class attention and challenges, and he's facing additional challenges that you can't simply punch your way through?" "Doesn't matter. They want a jerk who gets beaten up a lot. So MY Bet is to manipulate THIS event over here." Ares grinned. This guy was one of his favorites. "Shit," Toltiir blinked. He wasn't one of the local gods, so the Almighty didn't restrict his speech to the extent it would have been if Urd had said that. "HIM?!? I thought he was dead..." "They never showed the body," chided Ares. "He's been looking for a way off that dying world and finally got it. All MY little change is, is to redirect him to a 'weak point' in the local Reality of ANY of the Ranmaverses. Just like so." (2) Toltiir blinked again. "This isn't funny, you know. This is pretty DARK." Ares grinned. "That's how I like it." ------------------------------------- "" Boh Ling looked down at the youngster. "" "" "" "" Rei Ga twisted in pain, dropping to her knees. <"Ah! The Musk Citadel is no more, it has been breached and taken over by the invaders. I saw Herb slain on the parapets within seconds of fighting the leader of this force, it was as if a child faced a raging tiger. Ahhh!>" <"Child? What?"> Boh Ling looked at the other Elders, as she could only see one tiny wound on Rei Ga's body. Only Dusk seemed to know what was going on, and no one had ever seen the expression on her face before, a two hundred year old Elder who was as tough as they came in these parts. Dusk looked both afraid and...sorrowful. "" Rei Ga shuddered, blood beginning to seep from ears, eyes, nose, and mouth. "" Rei Ga was not a wimp, but she screamed then, screamed as her body literally tore itself apart from the inside out, seeming to be an explosion in slow motion. Finally the scream ended in a brief gurgle and the remains of what had been a pretty fourteen year old girl sloshed to the ground. Dusk looked up at the others. "" "" Boh Ling couldn't tear her eyes away from the mess sprayed across the floor of the audience chamber. "" Dusk was suddenly right in front of Boh Ling, blocking her colleague's view. "" "" Dusk was aware of others who were hearkening to her words and rushing forth. She wasn't sure how much or how many could be saved, but she'd give them every second her life could buy them. "