Captain’s log stardate 48322.1, Thomas Paris recording.

Its been a week since we rescued the crew of the Liberty from the Kazon, one of the hardest weeks of my life. I thought it was bad when I had to deal with the whispered comments and ugly looks of the Starfleet crew, however I now find that at the very least they displayed a certain level of tact in their abuse. The Maquis survivors have decided that I’m unworthy of even a veiled semblence of respect or tolerance, leaving me with the constant pressure to watch my back as I walk the corridors of Voyager.


* * *


“Computer, activate Emergency Medical Hologram.”

“Please state the nature of the medical emergency.” The holographic doctor shimmered into existance, catching a glimpse of the ship’s Captain leaning heavily against a bio bed. “Captain! What happened?”

Tom groaned as the doctor helped him up onto the bed, “Got ambushed in the corridor Doc, I think they fractured a few of my ribs.”

The Doctor layed Tom back onto the biobed and began taking readings from his patient, “Four of your ribs to be exact, some internal bleeding, and a slight concussion. Who did this to you?”

Tom chuckled, then winced in pain, “Havn’t a clue Doc, would you believe they wore *masks*?”

Paris sighed as he felt the pain subside under the Doctor’s skillful use of an osteoregenerator, “I hardly find that shocking Captain, they certainly wouldn’t want to be recognized.”

“You forget who they attacked Doc.” At the puzzled look on the Hologram’s face Tom continued, “I’m not popular with the crew Doc.”

“But... Your the Captain.” The doctor managed to say with an air of finality.

Paris sighed, trying to explain this to a hologram was going to be tiring. “Yeah Doc, but a lot of people don’t think I should be the Captain. And it looks like some of the angrier members of that club decided to do something about it. Which reminds me Doc, I’m pretty sure I heard a bone snap in one of my assailants arms when I threw him. Let me know if anyone shows up for treatment?”

“Of course, Captain.”

“Thanks”

Paris relaxed back into the bed, letting the Doctor continue his treatment.


* * *


The next day Tom was review reports from his section heads when he heard the door chime, “Come.”

“You called for me Paris?”

Tom looked up to see Chakotay slip smoothly into the ready room. “Yes, I did. You remember asking me what I planned to do with the Maquis, Chakotay?”

Chakotay sank into the Chair Paris had waved him to. “Yes I do, may I assume you come to a decision?”

“You may.” Tom took a breath and continued, “The way I see it I only have two choices really. First, I could drop you all off somewhere and remove you from the equation.”

At Chakotay’s startled expression Tom continued, “Relax, I won’t be doing that unless you want me too. Despite the fact that that solution would probably entail the least amount of troubles for me personally I don’t consider it much of an option. The second is that you join Voyager, and serve aboard her as full members of the crew.”

Chakotay settled back, looking thoughtful, Serve under Tom Paris? Now here is an ironic turn of events. Aloud he said, “What kind of conditions are we talking about Paris? How would my people fit into the chain of command?”

“That is the big question isn’t it? Here’s my breakdown from what I know of your crews skills.” Tom handed over a Pad.

“This is interesting,” Chakotay quickly reviewed the data, “you want Tuvok in charge of security? That’s a good choice, of course, but it suprises me. I notice you don’t mention myself or B’Elanna here.”

“B’Elanna’s position is already decided. She is Voyager’s chief of engineering and she’ll stay there until she decides to leave. You were a more difficult decision to make I’m afraid. Chakotay, would you be willing to take over as chief helmsman?”

Chakotay looked up startled, as much as he disliked Paris he respected the man’s abilities behind the con of a starship. Being asked by a pilot of Paris’ caliber to fly for him was a compliment, and considering their mutual past it was probably a very hard thing for Paris to ask.

“Why me?”

Tom looked at him intently. “Because I need a pilot who has more experience than a few alpha quadrant milk runs. Because I already know that you can handle a ship in combat. And because despite our personal differences I think you know enough to realize that second guessing an order in the middle of combat is a sure way to commit suicide.”

Tom watched the older man’s face for a moment, “Look, Chakotay, I need someone who can teach people like Pablo Baytart to follow orders and not hotdog the ship through combat. I can’t do it, he wont listen to me. He might listen to you, maybe.”

Chakotay wished that Paris had sounded more convinced. “All right, I’ll take the position, but you still havn’t told me how you plan to handle the chain of command?”

“That’s simple, especially in your case, Commander.” Paris slid a small case across the desk.

Chakotay, unbelieving, opened the case to see the three latinum pips resting inside.

“I’ll make it official and enter the reinstatement of your rank into the ship’s logs. Assuming we make it home it will have to be ratified by Starfleet Command, but thats a long way from here and as long as we’re in the Delta Quadrant the regs will back my decision.”

Chakotay stared for a long time at the pips he had given up to follow the Maquis into hell, “What about the others Paris? They arn’t Starfleet and never were.”

“Field commisions. That will slip them solidly into the chain of command but, like you, they will have to be ratified once we return.”

“Who else will be serving as senior staff?”

“Harry Kim heads the Operations section, the Holodoc will be our CMO, and Leutenant Rawlins will serve as my first officer. “

Chakotay nodded, he had to admit it was more then he could have asked for. Three of his people on the senior staff and the rest being used according to their skills was a good deal. A deal he could take back to his crew.

“Ok Paris. I can live with this, and so can my people. We’ll play it your way.”

“Good. Please remember Chakotay, your rank places you above Rawlins but he *is* my first officer.”

“I understand how the chain of command works Paris.” Chakotay’s growl served to remind Paris rather abruptly that there were rough times ahead.


* * *



“You asked to see me Mr Paris?”

“Yes I did Tuvok, I wanted to talk to you earlier but it was neccesary to deal with some other... issues... first.”

“I see. May I as what issues you are refering to?”

“I had to settle a few things with Chakotay before I began talking to his crew in private meetings. We need to figure out what exactly your position on Voyager will be.”

The Vulcan stiffened, “I’m am rightfully Voyager’s commanding officer as of this moment.”

“I know Tuvok, and I honestly wish it was that simple. Unfourtunatly I can’t access your Starfleet records, Captain Janeway saw fit to have them encrypted. So unless you know the decryption sequence?” Tom looked at the Vulcan hopefully.

“I do not. I was unaware of the precautions Captain Janeway had taken.”

“Well then thats the problem. If I tell the crew who you are then two things will immediatly occur. First, all the Starfleet crew will assume that I’m kowtowing to the ‘Maquis Terrorists’, and second the Maquis will instantly think of you as the ‘traitor’. The end result? A mutiny that, at best, leaves us both in the brig or, at worst, spaced.”

Tuvok calmly digested the theory that Paris had presented him with, and despite his most vigorous attempts he could not find a flaw in the man’s logic. Until his service records were decrypted he could not assume command of Voyager. Mentally he decided to personally investigate the encryption codes Paris refered to.

“What would you suggest then Mr Paris?”

“For the moment I think its probably best if you assume your normal station at Tactical and as head of security. We’ll have to inform a few people about your true identity, of course. I think that Crewman Sawra, Ensign Kim, Leutenant Rawlins, and the EMH will have to be informed.”

“None of the Maquis?” Tuvok was relieved that Paris hadn’t suggested that but was curious as to the man’s reasoning.

“No. Not yet anyway. As a Maquis in good standing you’ll be privy to more information from that side of the road then you would if your cover were leaked. And I’m genuinely concerned about the possibility of a mutiny at this point.”

“I see.” Satisfied that at least the man wasn’t a complete imbecile, Tuvok listened as Tom continued.

“I trust Sawra and Kim without reservation, Rawlins will be acting as my first officer so he should be kept up to date on all ship’s business.”

“And the EMH?”

“He heard the Captain refer to Leutenant Commander Tuvok before she slipped into the coma, so It’s better to inform him of the situation and impress apon him the seriousness of it.”

“Agreed.” Tuvok was silent for a moment, “I am curious Mr Paris, how did you deduce my identity? Surely it wasn’t merely the Captains words?”

“No Tuvok, there was a lot more then that. You see some time after I took command I decided to look at Ms Torres’ records to see what her capabilities were. You were very complete in your task Mr Tuvok, and the sheer amount of information intrigued me. It was obvious that Starfleet had infiltrated Chakotay’s cell. Even so, I wouldn’t have figured it out except that we stopped at an outpost a few day’s behind the Liberty and I was speaking with it’s commander about the differences between the humans on the Liberty and those on Voyager. When I pointed out that Chakotay was Starfleet trained he asked about you,” Tuvok’s eyebrow shot up, “the ‘dark Vulcin’, I believe he called you. I did some checking after that, and realized that despite all the information we had on Chakotay’s cell there wasn’t one single entry about a Vulcan. Kind of a glaring oversight, Tuvok, considering how much data you had gathered on everyone else. At anyrate, while I thought it was possible that you had joined up sometime after the last report made by the spy, I found myself reading the language used in the report carefully. It was distinctly Vulcan, very stiff and formal. So I took a chance when you came aboard.”

Privately Tuvok had to admit he was impressed, Mr Paris was proving to be an exceptionally observant. For a human.

“I see. I shall endeavor not to repeat those errors in the future.”

“I wouldn’t expect you too Tuvok.” Tom smiled at the man. “For the moment shall we continue with my plan then Leutenant Commander?”

“It is the logical thing to do Mr Paris.”

As Tuvok was getting up to leave Paris asked, “Tuvok, I was wondering, how did you get into this anyway? At first I assumed that it was a Starfleet Intelligence operative who had infitrated Chakotay’s cell, but if your assigned to Voyager?”

“It was... accidental, Mr Paris.” Tom smiled at the faint note of distaste Tuvok displayed at the word ‘accidental’. “I was approached by a Maquis recruiter who had accessed my service records from the USS Excelsior. My discharge papers indicated, quite correctly at the time, that I was disillusioned with Starfleet.”

“But why didn’t they find your current records?”

“I was under a Command review at the time.”

Tom nodded in comprehension, “So Command sealed your records pending the outcome. I take it that Starfleet Command thought it was too good an opurtunity to pass up?”

“I believe those were the sentiments expressed.”

“Figures. Starfleet always was hot to get any of their officers that had the temerity to side with the Maquis. They must have been salivating at the thought of getting Chakotay behind a force field.”

Tuvok didn’t comment, “Are we finished here, Mr Paris?”

“Almost. I want you to keep an eye on this crewman.” Tom slid a pad across the desk “He was one of three people who attacked me last night. I wasn’t able to identify any of them until he showed up in sickbay this morning with a fractured arm, said it happened on the Holodeck but I checked and he hasn’t been in the Holodeck for two days.”

Tuvok took the Pad impassively but inside he was deeply disturbed, the man on the pad was a Starfleet crewman. “You don’t want him arrested?”

“No. I’d rather keep track of him, he would be the perfect recruit for any mutineers and by watching him we might be able to catch trouble before it starts.”

“Very well. I will ‘keep an eye on him’”

“Thanks. I think we’re done here.”

Tuvok stood up and left the room.


* * *


Captain’s log, Stardate 48341.3, Thomas Paris recording.

It has been over two weeks since we consolidated the two crews into one, Starfleet, crew. In that time I have had to face the fact that I am not capable of creating a bridge between these two factions. As an outsider to both I am, at best, considered beneath their notice. This situation is intolerable considering the frequent attacks by the Kazon Nistrum that have battered at our defences since we save the Liberty from their ‘attention’. Luckily for me I do have supporters on both sides of the line and they have brought certain disturbing rumors to my attention. Apperently elements from both factions have begun collabarating on a plan to mutiny and take Voyager. No one has been able to tell me who as of yet unfourtunatly. I find it tragically ironic that I am, in fact, the cause of a bridge between the two factions. It would appear that they both agree that they want me gone.


* * *


Chakotay stepped lightly into the Mess Hall, sparing a warm smile for Neelix before taking a tray and sitting at a table a small distance from some of the other survivors of the Liberty.

“Is she serious?”

“Of course she’s serious. You know she’s not the joking type.”

“If it backfires on her we’ll all go down.”

“I know, we’ll have to choose up sides soon. And we’ll have to be careful when making that decision.”

Chakotay frowned into his plate as small chates of the conversation wafted across the room to him. He had heard rumours from a some of his crew that someone was planning a little revolt on Voyager, but had hoped that it was simply discontented grumblings. Now it appeared that he might have to make some decisions of his own concerning his loyalties here on Voyager.

“Hello Chakotay, may I join you?”

He looked up, surprised. “Sure B’Elanna, have to admit I thought you were still ticked off at me.”

She smiled and shook her head. “No, I got over that a few days ago. Repairs have been keeping me busy thought, we still havn’t gotten all the damage fixed from that lucky shot the Kazon got while we were beaming you aboard.”

“So I’m told,” He grinned back at her, “Not that I overly regret that bit of damage you understand.”

B’Elanna laughed, “No I don’t suppose you do. But then your just flying this crate now arn’t you? It’s me and Paris who are worrying about keeping her in one piece.”

Chakotay’s low chuckle rolled across the room, “In some way’s, B’Elanna, its liberating. Not stareing at energy consumption reports for hours on end, being able to simply enjoy the feel of the ship under my feet and at the tips of my fingers.”

“I’m sure it’s a great sensation Chakotay.” B’Elanna’s face and tone grew more serious, “But I’m worried that it might be coming to an end Chakotay. Have you heard the rumors?”

“Some of them. Probably not all, or even most at this point.”

“Someone is reaching out for all the malcontents on board Chakotay, Starfleet and Maquis.”

That caught Chakotay’s attention. “Starfleet as well? Well I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised, they wouldn’t take well to the likes of Paris either.”

“He does his job Chakotay. He saved you didn’t he?”

Chakotay sighed and pushed his dinner plate away from him, “I know that B’Elanna, but that doesn’t make him a good Captain. How can anyone on board trust a man like him? There are rough times ahead B’Elanna, becareful you don’t get caught on the wrong side.”

A mask of anger flared across her face and she stood up abruptly, “I’ll take that under advisement *Commander*, I suggest you think about it yourself however. Think about it long and hard.”

Watching B’Elanna’s furious form stride from the mess hall Chakotay sighed. She’s right, I do have to think long and hard about this. And I think that I am in need of some guidance. With that last though Chakotay stood up and, dropping his tray off at the reclamator, left the room heading for his quarters.


* * *


Elsewhere on Voyager another person was facing the same question, but without the doubts that were plaguing Chakotay. Tuvok already knew what side he would stand on, no matter the consequences.

Uncharacteristically he hesitated at the door to the Captain’s ready room, it felt strange to consider that the door would open and it wouldn’t be Captain Janeway who greeted him. Finally he simply stepped through the unsealed door, mentally preparing his report.


* * *

Tom Paris stared at the closed door that his new security chief had just left through. Mutiny. To his knowledge there had never been a mutiny on a Starfleet vessel, not in over two hundred years. Still, Tuvok’s information had confirmed his other sources and he had been expecting it for some time now.

I always wondered what I captain would do if he knew there was a mutiny at hand. Tom cracked a rueful grin. Guess now I get to find out.

Calling up a series of command funtions on his terminal Tom Paris went to work.


* * *


Eight decks down a subtly different type of work was being done. Trained fingers tapped complex commands into the ships computer, resequencing Voyager’s waste disposal subsystems to carrier a subspace chanal.

“It’s done.”

“Good, we can make a deal with the Kazon for Voyager’s technology since Paris saw fit to screw up the deal for Liberty.”

“Are you sure about this Seska? They were pounding the Liberty pretty hard, they might have killed us in that attack.”

“Of course I’m sure Jonas, If Voyager hadn’t shown up we’d be free an clear by now.”

“And a kingdom in the delta quadrant beats being outlaws in the alpha.” Jonas smiled at his companion.

“Exactly.” Jonas had turned back to his work, missing the sinister smile that curled his bajoran companion’s lips.

“Just enter these commands when your ready Seska, that will send Voyager’s updated coordinates on the frequency Cullah provided you with. Just tell him to be gentle next time ok?”

Seska didn’t bother to reply to her ‘compatriots’ sarcastic tone, she simply memorized the comands and the deleted them from the pad he had handed her with a flick of her thumb. ‘Leave no evidence’ was one of the first tenants of her training.

Jonas watched her nervously for a moment before continuing, “Are you sure we can gain control of Voyager?”

“Of course. With *Paris* in comand its not even a question. By the Prophets Jonas, we even have recruits from the *Starfleet* people.” The triumph on Seska’s face was infectious and soon Jonas was grinning back at her.

“He certainly doesn’t have many friends around here does he? From what i can tell only Kim, Sawra, and the Deltan’s, Kes and Neelix, can even stand him.”

Seska smiled serenely, “Thats why, two days from now, Voyager is ours.”


* * *


Chakotay found himself wandering the halls as he pondered the advice his spirit guide had imparted.

Love and hate. Friends and enemies. Be warned, one can look much like the other.

His guide was often cryptic, but that sounded too much like a endorsement of Paris for his comfort. So, rather then sleeping, he found himself wandering through Voyager with no particular destination in mind. Abruptly he stopped, a noise attracting his attention from a room he had thought was empty.

“Computer, what is the location of Captain Janeway’s quarters?”

“Deck Two, section 23.”

He was right, these *were* her quarters. Who was in there now?

“Computer, release door locks. Authorization Chakotay, Psi Delta Four.”

“Insufficient authorization.”

Chakotay’s eyes widened, only one person should have enough authorization to keep him out. Shrugging to himself he reached out and pressed the door chime.

Inside the Captain’s quarters Tom Paris tapped a command on the Captain’s terminal before speaking. “Come.”

The door opened and he saw Chakotay step hesitantly inside, “Moved to new quarters Paris?”

Hearing the note of censure in the indians voice Tom bristled slightly, “No actually, I had some work to do.”

Chakotay involuntarily found himself emulating his security officer, eyebrows flashing up. “In here? Why?”

“I have my reasons Chakotay.”

Chakotay nodded, acepting that for the moment. Actually Chakotay had a fairly good idea what Paris was up to. He was just surprised that Paris had thought of it. So he’s heard the rumors already. Another non-surprise tonight, Paris probably has more contact with the rumour base on Voyager then most Captains would, despite his handicaps. He’s using Captain Janeway’s secure terminal to prepare countermeasures.

“You know it’s coming don’t you Paris?”

Neither of them needed to specify what he was referring to, “Yes. I’ve been expecting it for over two weeks. Since I was ambushed in the corridors.”

Now that did surprise Chakotay, “Ambushed?”

“Three crewmembers, they broke a few of my ribs and caused some other injuries before I fought them off. I managed to ID one of them the next morning when he went to sickbay for treatment, he was Starfleet.”

Chakotay nodded, at least it wasn’t one of his who showed such an appalling lack of discipline. Attacking ones own captain was the height of treason in his mind, even a captain like Tom Paris.

“I’m not behind it you know.”

Tom nodded, “I know Chakotay, we have our own set of problems but you were never the type to mutiny on this level. Even when you left Starfleet you were careful to avoid implicating anyone else, you went out of your way to give Starfleet a way to keep your actions quiet. I never really considered you as a suspect.”

Chakotay sat down, looking intently at the younger man across from him. “Do you know any of them yet?”

“A few. Actually i think we know most of them now. The problem is that the organizer of this little mutiny is very good. We can’t get passed the outer group, whoever is running things is well protected.”

“I see. Is it Maquis or Starfleet?”

Tom looked at Chakotay’s body language as he asked that question, a lot of Chakotay’s pride was riding on his answer. “Both, at least in the outer group. I think the instigator is probably Maquis though since this didn’t start until after we rescued your crew.”

“Everything was perfume and roses before we arrived?” Chakotay’s one had turned sarcastic.

“Hardly,” Tom made a face, “the crew was badly devided, but they trusted my senior staff. And my senior staff trusted me, se we all managed to get along. Adding the Maquis to the mix has proved to be the match that lit the powder keg.”

Reluctantly Chakotay had to agree with the younger man’s assessment, Paris probably could have managed the crew if it had remained pure Starfleet. Chakotay stood up to leave, turning back a moment before walking out, abruptly realizing that he had chosen his side. “If I hear anything, I’ll let you know.”

Tom looked at him for a moment, then said simply, “Thanks.”


* * *


Captain’s log, Stardate 48342.1, Thomas Paris recording.

With the aid of Lt Commander Tuvok I’ve completed emergency countermeasures in case the rumour concerning mutiny prove to be true. Surprisingly it appears that Commander Chakotay has chosen to side with me in the coming crisis, not that I really thought he would instigate a mutiny but I had assumed that he would probably remain neutral due to our personal conflicts. Unfourtunatly none of my senior staff have been able to penetrate the outer layer of the unrest to find the instigators behind it. On the other hand the unrest appears to be remarkale small, only a handful of Starfleet personnel and a dozen or so Maquis. The rest appear to be in a ‘wait and see’ mindset that could work to the advatage of either side depending on who achieves a decisive advantage.


* * *


“Hello Tuvok.”

The black Vulcan looked up from his salad, “Hello Seska. I trust you are well today?”

“I’m fine, thank you.” The Bajoran smiled at the impassive stare she was receiving.

“May I help you with something Seska?”

“No, I don’t think so Tuvok. Just being friendly, I was wondering how you were getting along under the new *Captain*.”

Tuvok pondered his responce carefully, “It isn’t my place to render judgement on Mr Paris.”

Seska’s smile broadened slightly. Not *Captain* Paris. That does leave me an opening. “Of course it isn’t Tuvok, but still you must find being in Starfleet again somewhat... disconcerting.”

“Starfleet and I,” choosing his words carefully, Tuvok tried to gauge Seska’s intentions, “parted on somewhat amicable grounds. I neither enjoy nor dislike the uniform.”

“Of course not Tuvok.” And I wouldn’t expect you to tell me if you were unhappy. But you will join me Tuvok, whether you know it or not.


* * *


Tom Paris strode into the mess hall, almost wincing at the wave of silence that accompanied his presence. He stepped up to Neelix’s kitchen, looking around for the cheerful Talaxian.

“Tom! I’m so happy to see you here, you don’t take enough time to eat anymore.”

“I’ve been busy Neelix.”

Neelix suddenly became conspiratorial, “I’ve been hearing things that will affect you Captain.”

Tom almost frowned at Neelix’s use of the title but reconsidered, “This is hardly the place for confessions Neelix.”

Understanding swept across the little man’s face, “I understand.”

Tom smiled at him for a moment before turning to survey the room. He saw Tuvok speaking with the Bajoran Maquis, Seska, at one table and various other groups scattered around the mess hall. Seska? I wonder if she has anything to do with it? Paris discounted that idea immediatly, Seska had the initiative but she wouldn’t go against Chakotay, she wanted the Commander too badly.

The thrum of conversation slowly returned to the mess hall as Paris moved over to the table that had rapidly became ‘his’ section of the room. Slowly and deliberatly Tom took his seat and began eating Neelix’s latest concoction.

The subdued murmurs were beginning to get to Tom, he was normally a more social person but the Captaincy of Voyager had buried that aspect of his personality. As more time went by he found himself eating alone and more often then not, sitting alone. Lately, he realized with chagrin, he had even taken to talking alone.

Still, I do have friends. Neelix, B’Elanna, Harry, Michael, maybe even Chakotay. He chuckled quietly. No, not friends, but maybe allies.


* * *


“Paris to Neelix.”

“Neelix here,” The Talaxian tapped his badge and cocked his head, “what can I do for you Tom?”

“Could you get some food together and come up to the conference room? We have a senior staff meeting thats running late.”

“Right away Sir!”

“Thanks, Paris out.”

Neelix quickly gathered up two trays of food and a pitcher of drink, fumbling with the items until he managed to balance the pitcher on one tray, and headed out of the room. He was almost to the Turbolift when Ensign Kim slipped in beside him and relieved him of the clumsy pitcher, smiling brightly.

“Hey Neelix, heading up to the bridge?”

“Why yes, why arn’t you there already? I thought it was a senior staff meeting.”

The turbolift doors hissed shut before Harry responded, “We’re not going to the bridge. Deck two.”

The turbolift whirred away while Neelix tried to put the pieces together. When the lift opened on deck two Neelix dutifully followed Harry down the corridor and into a room that Neelix didn’t recognize. Inside the room he found himself surrounded by some of the people he liked best on Voyager.

“Neelix, glad you could make it.” Paris was grinning at the confused cook.

Neelix looked helplessly around the room, trying to find his place in the group that Tom had assembled. He immediatly recognized B’Elanna, Sawra, and Chris Rawlins. But took a little longer to remember the names of the other people in the room. Mr Vulcan was solemnly staring at a wall, the big man called Ayala was looking distinctly unsettled by the gathering but was reclining on the sofa. Neelix realized that every department on the ship was represented, Lt Carey was standing off to one side, one of the Delaney’s was chatting animatedly with the apperently uncomfortable pilot named Chakotay.

“I’m uh very glad to be here Tom. What is this?”

“You had something you wanted to tell me earlier Neelix, what was it?”

Neelix looked flustered, “Well I uh don’t think this is the...”

“Don’t worry Neelix, you can speak freely, I’m pretty sure that everyone here already knows most of of what you might say.”

Neelix took a deep breath, “I think that you might have a problem on board Tom. I was serving dinner late last night and I heard this man, I think his name was Jonas, trying to convince a few crewmen that something had to be done about you.”

The room was silent for a moment, broken first by B’Elanna, “Jonas, that weasel.”

“Another name to the list Tuvok?”

Tuvok raised an eybrow and looked between Neelix and Tom, “Indeed. I believe I have another name to add myself Mr Paris. Seska approached me in the mess hall earlier and has extended an invitation to join her at a gathering that I think will bear remarkable similarities to this one.”

“Seska?!?” the cry came in unison from Chakotay and B’Elanna.

“No way. Seska wouldn’t be involved in something like this.” B’Elanna was adamant.

“I don’t know about that.”

The whole room turned to the quiet voice from the sofa, Chakotay let them stare for a moment before continuing. “Seska has the ambition to pull something like this off. And she has little love for the Federation or Starfleet.”

Silence reigned for a long moment before Tom spoke up, “Would she betray you Chakotay?”

Chakotay frowned at Paris, “What do you mean, Paris?”

“Before we chased off the Kazon who were attacking your ship they told us something that I decided not to mention. They said that they had payed for the Liberty and were simply collecting what was theirs. So tell me Chakotay, would Seska have sold you out?”

“Never. They were lying to you Paris, just trying to get you out of the way.”

This time it was B’Elanna who spoke up, “I don’t think so Chakotay. Someone on the Liberty definitely sold technology to the Kazon, the ship itself wouln’t be much of a jump.”

One only had to watch the range of reactions across the room to tell who was Starfleet and who was Maquis. To the man the Maquis reacted with outrage, and none more the Chakotay himself. Yet even before he could voice his reaction Paris had slipped smoothly into the mix.

“We didn’t tell you because we were trying to find out who did it Chakotay.” He took a breath before continuing. “That was why Voyager was on your trail in the first place. The Kazon attacked us with federation technology, boarding Voyager with transporters we traced back to you. If it wern’t for the fact that they were monumentally stupid and had no idea haw to plan tactics around their recently acquired toys, they would have succeeded.”

Chakotay was silent for a long moment, “Have you had any luck tracking down the perpetrator?”

“No. Whoever it was either didn’t give their name to the Kazon or they convinced them to keep it out of their computers.” Paris sighed, "They also kept the data from the liberties computers, I had Sawra do a data dump while he was over there."

“It must be someone else. Seska wouldn’t do that.”

Paris looked thoughtful, “You may be right, but a few hours ago I dismissed the thought of Seska’s involvment in a mutiny altogether. I’m not going to underestimate her twice in one day.”

“Tuvok, I know its dangerous but I want you to attend that meeting. Find out what you can.”

The impassive Vulcan wisely decided not to tell his ‘captain’ that he had already planned to do so, no matter Mr Paris’ opinion.


* * *


Captain’s log, Stardate 48343.6, Thomas Paris reporting.

Tensions have continued to rise as the rumours and factions continue to tear apart the delicate command structure I and my staff worked to build over the last two months. When I find out whose behind this trouble I’ll be sorely tempted to resort to pre-starfleet penalties which, if I recall my history, for mutiny was ‘spacing’. Fantasies aside, Tuvok’s report on the meeting he was invited too is not encouraging to say the least. The only bright spot is that it would apear that Seska is, indeed, the head of the growing unrest. What worries me is that she is promising her recruits far too much for a simple mutiny, she is promising them entire fortunes. I have a bad feeling that Seska or whoever is behind her has yet to play their ace in the hole.


* * *


Tom had just taken the command chair when the ops board began beeping, startling Harry Kim as he began to search the panel in confusion.

“Tom, we’re getting fluctuations in the warp field.”

“Show me.”

Harry directed the data to the Captain’s terminal where Tom looked at it carefuly, a moment later he cursed.

“Helm, drop us out of warp.”

“Tom?”

“The fluctuations will mess up the alignment of a dozen of our systems if we try to fix it on the fly, contact B’Elanna and get her on the problem.”

Wordlessly Harry complied while Tom turned back to the data on his terminal, he had seen that configuration once before. A few minutes more of studying the data told him all he needed to know, he’d bet any amount of rations that the cause was the same as the last time he’d seen it. Sabotage.

Paying careful attention to the sounds and actions of the people around him Tom punched up a program he had filed in his database and set it to be activated by a single touch. Assured that his countermeasures were ready he called up a mission log from fifteen years earlier and seventy lightyears away. Tom was still studying the log when B’Elanna’s voice came over the com.

“Torres to the bridge. Paris, why did you stop us?”

Tom looked at the mission log he had been reading, searching for part he needed. “Check the plasma manifolds for the port warp nacelle. The flow control has been sabotaged.”


* * *


B’Elanna heard Paris cut the link and could do nothing but walk over to the diagnostic tools for the plasma manifolds, wondering who the hell Tom Paris thought he was to tell her how to run engineering. Eight minutes later she was chagrined to realize he had been right, the warp engines flow control had been subtly altered to affect the alignment of practically every system connected to the primary power conduits. B’Elanna coldn’t understand how Harry had noticed the fluctuation, never mind how Paris had recognized the cause. Dutifully she buried the rage that had been growing and began to repair the damage to the manifold, weaving a new set of security codes into the operating system as she fixed each segment of the sabotage.

Whoever did this was good, covered their tracks effectivly. B’Elanna’s anger, which had been rapidly surpressed after she realized Tom was right, was now growing again. Someone had tried to disable her engines and they had been good enough to hide themselves from her.

As B’Elanna worked feverishly to fix the sabotage and refine the security protocols defending the warp power systems she failed to notice the vicious glare directed at her by Michael Jonas.


* * *


“How did they find it?!?”

Jonas was cowering beneath Seska’s rage inspired outburst. “I don’t know. I set it up exactly the way you told me too. The order came down from Paris, he told Torres exactly where and what to look for.”

Seska briefly considered hitting Jonas, but she held back tempering her anger against the need to maintain her facade. “Alright, we’ll have to step up the plan. Tell the others we move in an hour.”

Seska was seething as she watched Jonas leave the room. How did he know? Shaking her head she activated her terminal and sent a series of comands to the subroutine that Jonas had setup in engineering for her. Moments later a nearly undetectable message was sent out, alerting her Kazon allies to the change in her plans.

Her terminal deactivated, Seska sat quietly in the dark of her quarters. How had Paris known about the sabotage? Seska pondered the question over and over, wondering if he had someone inside her conspirators or if she had seriously underestimated the man’s abilities. If he’s that good I should have tried to co-opt the man, he would have been useful. Shrugging, Seska threw off the unproductive train of thought and concentrated on how she would take Voyager now that the Kazon wouldn’t be able to provide the support she had counted on.


* * *


On the bridge Harry Kim frowned at the readings he was getting, tapping comands into his board he tried to clear up the signals that had appeared a few minutes earlier. Running a signal scrubbing algorithim on the offending readings Harry’s eyes opened wide as they cleared up.

“Tom, we have a dozen Kazon signals closing fast.”

Cursing to himself Tom asked, “How long?”

“Less then ten minutes now.”

Turning in his chair, Tom looked shocked. “How did they get so close?”

Harry shook his head, “I don’t know. I almost didn’t spot them at all.”

Shelving that question for the moment Tom stood up, “Red alert! All hands to their battle stations.”

The lights dimmed and the glow of the alert lamps bathed the bridge in a deep shade or red as the crew snapped to their posts, preparing for the coming fight.

“Paris to Engineering, we’re going to need the warp drive soon.”

“Torres here. I’m working as fast as I can, but its going to take another twenty minutes at least.”

Privately Paris noted that he had never cursed so much, or so quietly, then since he had assumed the captaincy of Voyager. Dismally shaking his head he wondered what possesed people to actually *aspire* to the position, he’d give most anything he could lay his hands on to be in Chakotay’s position.

“Chakotay, plot an evasive course, try to keep ahead of them as long as you can.”

The big indian nodded silently and began entering a series of subroutines into the helm, designed to make the Kazon earn every lightsecond they gained on the Starfleet vessel. A futile gesture since the Kazon ships weren’t operating with crippled warp nacelles, but the only option open to the crew of Voyager at this time.


* * *


“Tuvok to the bridge! Commander Tuvok to the bridge!”

Paris’ voice rang out on all decks as crewmembers rushed to their duty stations in preparation for the coming battle. Only a handful of personnel were not rushing through the corridors. These people were striding with purpose toword their goal, phaser rifles in hand.

Seska smiled at the Vulcan standing impassivly in front of her, “Lets not keep the Captain waiting,” wry grins were exchanged around the room, “Tuvok, your with me. We’ll take the bridge first, then team two will move on Engineering.”

Seska swept from the room, Tuvok and a starfleet crewman following in her wake. The others split up, heading toward their own destinations and assignments.

In the corridors other crewmen melted away from the flying wedge of three armed officers that plowed through them. Dark looks from Seska froze any crewman who dared reach toward his combadge, and even after they passed the only disaproval expressed out loud was at Seska’s apperent bad timing.

Once in the turbolift the three mutineers turned silently to face the doors, alternetly glaring and staring impassivly at the Starfleet grey doors. Twice on their ride to the bridge the lift stopped, other crewmen moving to step on only to reconsider when faced with the impassive stare that faced them on one side and the vicious glare that greeted them on the other.

Two decks from the bridge the three of them swept their rifles into ‘ready’ position and thumbed the safty off, a low whine barely audible in the turbolift as the capacitors charged.


* * *


“Everybody freeze right where you are!”

The cry rang out across the bridge as Seska, Tuvok, and crewman Nelson strode off the bridge, each sweeping their phaser rifles to cover a third of the bridge. Covered by the Captain’s chair Tom tapped a single command before pulling a hand phaser from the small compartment he had asked B’Elanna to install several weeks earlier. Attaching the small weapon to the small of his back as he stood and turned to face the Phaser rifle pointed directly between his eyes. And the cold glaring visage of Seska.

“Get your hands where I can see them Paris.”

Tom slowly and deliberatly raised his hands, speaking only one word over his shoulder. “Chakotay...”

Chakotay had barely flinched when the mutineers had strode onto the bridge, his attention had been required to continue the evasion tactics he had proggrammed in. Turning in his chair he opened his mouth to respond to Tom’s summons but closed it abruptly when his eyes followed Tom’s gently waving fingers down to the phaser snugged on the younger man’s back.

“Chakotay had nothing to do with this Paris, he’s hardly the only person on board who hates you.” Paris managed to maintain an impassive face as Seska took several steps closer to him, her phaser pointed down at him from the level she was standing on.

“To think I actually dismissed the idea that you were involved in this Seska.” Tom’s wry tone carried well across the bridge.

“Your mistake. The worst one you could have made Paris, never underestimate me.” A mean smile spread across her face as she took in the bridge, *her* bridge. “All of you, move over this way.” The jerking motions of her Phaser rifle pointed them toward Harry Kim’s station where crewman Nelson was covering three officers huddled at the ops station already.

Tom felt a gentle tug on his uniform as Chakotay smoothly pulled the phaser from him and palmed it carefully away from the watchful eye’s of Seska and Nelson. Slowly he, Chakotay, and Lt Rawlins made their way over to the Ops station.

“Jonas to Seska, we have control of Engineering.”

Seska slapped her badge, “Excellent, Hold it until I get back to you.”

“Seska, we have a dozen Kazon warships bearing down on us. This is the worst possible timing...” Chakotay trailed off as Seska’s attention turned to him.

“Really Chakotay? And just how do you think they found us? I’m called them of course. Once I’ve sold them the technology of this ship we’ll be in a position to accumulate power in this quadrant. Power that will ensure that we not only survive here, but flourish.”

Chakotay’s face darkened, “So it was you who sold technology from the Liberty to the Kazon.”

“How did you know about that?”

Paris was the one who answered, “Your kazon friends arn’t terribly bright Seska. They tried to take Voyager with the toys you sold them, why do you think we were tracking the Liberty in the first place?”

Seska growled at the mocking tone Paris had assumed, the actions of her Kazon allies didn’t overly shock her but the stupidity of the situation did infuriate her. “So what? I never said they were geniuses. That stupidity will keep me on top.”

A sarcastic smirk flicked across Tom’s face, “In the land of the blind the one eyed woman is queen? Or perhaps the half wit rules the-“

Tom’s words were cut off when his head was rocked back by a blow from the butt of the enraged woman’s rifle. His body hit the floor solidly, leaving little doubt to his state of consciousness.

“The rest of you, keep your mouths shut.”

On the other side of the bridge Tuvok was examining the tactical board, his phaser rifle jammed into Sawra’s ribs. “Seska, the Kazon ships will intercept us within minutes.”

Seska turned her attntion to the Ops’s panel and Harry Kim, “Hail them.”

For a moment the young Ensign refused, glaring at the people holding the phasers on him but a loo from Chakotay turned him back to his board. After trying for a moment he loked up, confused. “I can’t, my board is locked out.”

“Your lying.” The contept dripped from each word as Seska brought the rifle up to her shoulder, glaring at Kim through the rifles tactical eyepiece.

“I’m not! My entire board is locked out, I can’t *do* anything.”

“Back!” Seska motioned them away from the console with her rifle as she stepped over to it and tried to enter the command herself. Finally giving up she stepped back and covered the group, half turning to Nelson, “Wake that worthless bastard up.”

Nelson looked over to where Tom Paris was lying on the deckplates, and slowly moved over to the fallen man. Poking him with the tip of his rifle Nelson rolled the unconscious man over, finally lowering the rifle and shaking Paris by the shoulders. Two minutes later he turned back to Seska, “I don’t know if I can Seska, you might have given him a concussion.”

The bajoran woman cursed loudly for a moment, then fell silent as she tried to think.

“Seska. The Kazon are approaching.”

Tuvok’s even voice didn’t do Seska any good, “So what? I told you they are my allies!” she snapped at the impassive Vulcan.

Just then the lights on the bridge dimmed and the computers voice rang out, “Proximity alert. Vessel configuration matches species, Kazon. Implementing Paris Emergency Protocol One.”

Seska and Nelson looed at each other, “What the hell is protocol one?”

Tuvok was examining the data flahing by the tactical board, “Mr Paris has diverted all primary energy to the shield array and modulated them useing a metaphasic formula he found in the ships database. Kazon weapons will require considerable time to penetrate them.”

Another round of cursing was heard on the bridge, “Nelson get that little prick to sickbay. When he wakes up, call me.”

Nelson nodded and kneeled over the prone man, tapping his badge and signalling for an emergency beamout. Apperently Paris didn’t lock out that option since the two were whisked away by the sparkling blue transporter beam.


* * *


In Engineering B’Elanna was muttering to herself as she poured over the manifold, trying to correct all the subtle changes that had been made to the system. She barely noted the arrival of Michael Jonas and the people with him, at least not until they raised their phaser rifles and began shouting orders to her crew.

“Jonas, you little weasel! What do you think your doing?”

His only answer was to turn his phaser on her and slowly push her back into the group they were herding in the center of Engineering. Once they had all the crew accounted for Jonas slapped his commbadge, “Jonas to Seska, we have control of Engineering.”

Seska’s reply was heard across Engineering and B’Elanna saw Jonas and his compatriots settle in for the long haul. She could feel her blood boil as the mutineers encamped themselves at key points in Engineering, both to moniter the ships status and to cover their prisoners.

As time went by the mutineer’s attitudes had become increasing smug as it became obvious that they’re plan was working. Until, that is, the computer’s calm voice echoed across the room.

“Proximity alert. Vessel configuration matches species, Kazon. Implementing Paris Emergency Protocol One.”

“What’s going on Jonas? Why is the computer running one of Paris’ programs?”

Jonas looked as baffled as any of his compatriots, “I don’t know. Seska has the bridge by now, he must have set this up as a contigency program.”

The lights in Engineering flickered for a moment, then dimmed to half intensity as the computer rerouted the power to the shield emmitters. B’Elanna craned her neck for a long moment, straining to see the display that had caught Jonas’ attention.

So thats why Paris was badgering me about metaphasic shielding, I wonder what other tricks he has the computer running? B’Elanna relaxed back, at least they wern’t going down without a fight. The moment of respite was brief, she felt her body tense up again when the computer announced the emergency transport to sickbay from the bridge. Please let whoever it is be ok.


* * *


In the messhall Neelix hadn’t realized anything was out of the ordinary until the computer made its announcment.

“What’s going on?” The confused Talaxian intercepted the nearest crewman as he passed the messhall.

“Havn’t got a clue Neelix, sounds like the computer is running an automatic program.”

“Why would it do that?” Neelix was now very confused, these people wern’t the sort to leave combat up to a computer.

The crewman shrugged, “Don’t really know for sure,” The man grinned at the short talaxian, “but I’d bet it has something to do with Seska and the phaser rifle she was swinging.”

Neelix was aghast as the crewman wandered off, the flippant comment had floored him but the crewman’s apperant lack of interest in who came out on top disgusted him. Shaking off the sinking feeling that had engulfed him the small man stalked down the hall toward the Turbolift.


* * *


Tom Paris materialized in Sickbay with Crewman Nelson leaning over him, “Activate emergency medical hologram.”

The air shimmered for a moment, coalescing into the Doctor. “Please state the nature of the... oh its him. Never mind.”

Nelson looked twice at the holographic doctor as he helped manhandle Paris onto a biobed, “Uh Doc, that was a strange greeting...”

The Doctor looked at Nelson for a moment, his responce being run through a billion checks before he continued. “Mr Paris has become a regular in my sickbay, and for some reason he always shows up with a concussion.”

Nelson grinned, “yeah Doc, he slipped on some muck that Neelix was waving around. Cracked his skull pretty hard on the floor when he went down.”

The Doctor didn’t bother to change his expression. Nelson’s story was plausible but the doctor had long since decided to treat anything the man said with contempt since Nelson had shown up the morning after Mr Paris had been attacked by assailents unknown. The crewmans injury matched Mr Paris’ description perfectly and the Doctor would never understand why Paris had insisted that it be kept quiet.

On the biobed niether of them noticed Tom open one eye, quickly taking in the positions of the two other occupants of sickbay and trying guage Nelson’s readiness. He slitted his eyes and watched the Doctor prepare a hypo and walk back over to him, noting with pleasure that Nelson had taken a stiff stance behind the appoaching Doctor and was making no move to join the Doc at the biobed.

For a computer program the Doctor had a lousy poker face, but at least he kept quiet when his unconcious patient’s eyes suddenly snapped open.

“Mutiny.” One word, spoken so softly that the Doctor had doubts if his patient himself could have heard it.

Mutiny? The Doctor busied himself with the diagnostic display on the biobed, going through the motions while his subroutines tried to process the one word that had been a statement, comand, and plea for help.

“Is he going to be ok Doctor?”

Paris watched the Doc through slitted eyes as the hologram moved quickly and effieciently, preparing a hypo with some solution that he couldn’t see. “He’ll be fine Mr Nelson, could you hand me the medical tricorder behind you?”

When the crewman turned to look for the instrument Paris saw the Doc almost glide up behind the mutinous crewman, pressing the hypo tight to his neck and catching him as he slumped.

“Captain, if you would please help me get him to a biobed?”

“Right with ya Doc.” Tom spun himself off the bed, landing his feet solidly on the floor. “Ow. You got anything for this gift I got from Seska?”

The Doc was silent for a moment, “Seska? Who exactly is Seska? Where we boarded by someone?”

“Seska, Doc. The Bajoran crewmember that came aboard with the Maquis.” Tom was puzzled by the Doctor’s reaction.

“I havn’t met any Bajoran crewmember. Certainly I havn’t performed the neccesary basline tests on any such crewman.”

Tom looked at the Doc on confusion, on a whim he turned to a terminal and accessed the medical database. “You’re right Doc, she isn’t listed here.” Tom shook off his cofusion, trying to bring his mind back onto the problem at hand.

“I don’t have time for this now, we’ll look into it after our current situation is dealt with.”


* * *


On the bridge Seska was growing increasingly impatient with the computer’s stubborn refusal to release the codes to her. She had ordered, in turn, all of Paris’ allies to enter their codes on the assumption that he wouldn’t risk cutting Voyager completly off from its senior officers. None of them, not even Sawra had been able to access the system.

“Seska to sickbay.”

“Sickbay here. What can I do for you?”

Seska listened to the doctor’s voice in surprise for a moment before realizing she had asked for sickbay so of course it was the hologram who answered, “Where’s Nelson?”

“In my office. He was disturbing me while I treated Mr Paris so I asked him to give me some room. He is, at the moment, glareing at me through the glass.”

Seska made a mental note to find someone to reprogram the *Doctor’s* personality when she had full control of voyager. “When will Paris be awake?”

“Several hours at least, when he hit his head he managed to sustain a severe concussion.”

Seska closed the conection and cursed again. This man is going to drive me insane, he’s lying on a biobed unconcious and I still hear his voice taunting me.

“Seska to security.”

“Rivers here Seska, standing by.”

“Transport everyone on the bridge except myself, Chakotay, Kim, and Tuvok to the brig. Then follow suit with the other sections according to the plan.”

Seska closed the link without waiting for a responce, the only confirmation she wanted or need was in the blue sparkles of the transporters whisking the people off the bridge. “Tuvok, keep an eye on Kim and Chakotay, I’m going to see if I can access Paris’ commands from the Captain’s ready room.”

Tuvok nodded and Seska walked briskly into the Captain’s ready room. Tuvok fixed the two officers with an impassive stare and said, “Man your stations. Do not move from them.”

Kim and Chakotay nodded, and retook their stations, unable to do more then monitor the displays because of Tom’s lockout. Tuvok stepped up to his own station, securing his phaser to his hip and studiously ignoring the slight bump that had apeared in Chakotay’s uniform. Although Seska hadn’t thought to ask him to try his own command codes he entered them into the station simply to be thorough. Unsurprisingly the station beeped back a moment later that his access was rejected, Just as Tuvok was about to turn away, however, a line of text appeared on one of the displays.


Checking for nearby crewmen...

Kim, Ensign : Status - Clear

Chakotay, Commander : Status - Clear

Area Status - Clear

Commander Tuvok : Access redirecting to secondary channels.

Command codes downloaded into EMH program : Recovering...

Command codes reinstated.

Reinstate Codes for command staff? - Y/N


Tuvok examined the display for a long moment, finally reaching out and canceling the command. The situation was still to uncertain he decided. With his own access restored he used the internal sensors to track the progress of Seska’s mutiny, observing as personnel were beamed from Engineering to the brig and to a secured cargo bay.


* * *


In Sickbay Paris was ducking into a jeffries tube when the Doctor stopped him. “Captain, my matrix was just accessed, with Tuvoks command codes.”

Paris smiled, “Good, he’s found them. Sorry Doc, probably should have warned you when I piggybacked those codes in your program.”

The Doctor looked at Paris for a moment. “You mean I’ve had the command codes to Voyager?”

“Yeah Doc, why?”

The Doctor looked very pleased with himself for a moment, “Then, technically, I’ve been in command for a while?”

Paris laughed and ducked into the tube, “I’ll see you in a bit Cap’n Doc. Hold down sickbay while we retake the ship.”

With those last words Paris began crawling through the jeffries tubes, working his way towards deck two. Several minutes later he kicked open a Jeffries tube access on deck two and stepped out, checking the hall quickly to confirm what his tricorder told him he jogged quickly down the deserted corridors and let himself into the Captain’s quarters.

“Computer, seal the door.”

The computer chirped and replied, “Doors sealed.”

Grabbing a commbadge to replace the one he left in sickbay Tom moved across the room and activated the Captain’s terminal. A moment with the terminal and he had the data he needed to begin his countermove, a quick flurry of commands locked out the transporter system. Tom looked regretfully at the transporter command codes for a moment, if he knew the identities of all the conspiraters it would be so easy to simply beam them into the brig, unfourtunatly life in the delta quadrant never seemed to be simple.

“Computer, send the following to Tuvok’s console.” Tom tapped in a quick message then headed into Captain Janeway’s bedroom and pulled a case from under bed.

Hefting the starfleet embossed case he called out, “Computer, transport me directly to the briefing room. Authorization Paris Cloak and Dagger.”

Tome never heard the affirmative answer of the computer as the blue light swept him away.


* * *



Voyager’s bridge was eerily quiet as Chakotay and Kim just stared at their panels, silently willing the situation to change. As if in answer to their combined wish a light on Tuvok’s panel began blinking, eliciting a slight crook in Tuvok’s eyebrow. Tapping the receive command, Tuvok found himself reading a situation report and an order from Tom Paris.

“Tuvok to Seska.”

Seska’s voice came back almost instantly, “What is it Tuvok?”

“I can’t break Paris’ codes from here. I am going to move the prisoners into the briefing room and try accessing the computer through one of the secondary systems. It is possible that he may have missed some of those areas.”

“Alright. Keep me posted on your progress Tuvok.”

“Of course. Tuvok out.”

Tuvok motioned to Kim and Chakotay with a phaser, “Up.”

Herding the two officrs into the briefing room Tuvok’s eyes were immediatly drawn to the silver case resting on the center of the conference table.

“Computer, seal briefing room door.”

Spinning on his heel Tuvok found himself covered by a phaser rifle wielded by Tom Paris.

“Sorry Tuvok, couldn’t be sure you were still alone on the bridge. It’s been a couple minutes since I checked.” Paris grinned as his brought the phaser rifle up and rested it against his shoulder.

“Tom! Are you alright?” Harry looked surprised.

“I’m fine.” Tom smirked. “Lucky for me Nelson wouldn’t know a concussion from a sprained ankle if his life depended on it. I brought a few party favors back with me by the way.” Tom finished by nodding toward the case on the table.

Tuvok flipped open the case and took stock of the contents, “Tricorders, phasers, and combadges Mr Paris?”

“Yeah, I deleted those combadges from the internal sensor sweeps. I also inserted an algorithym into the computer to delete the lifesigns of anyone wearing these badges from the system.”

“I see.” Tuvok picked out one of the combadges and used it to replace the one on his chest, handing two more to Harry and Chakotay.

“Chakotay, did they find the phaser you had?”

“No, but I’m afraid I didn’t get much of a chance to use it.”

Tom shrugged, “Not a problem, it was more a precaution then anything. Tuvok, where’s Seska now?”

“Seska is still in the Captain’s ready room.”

“Good. Just a moment with the terminal here and...” Tom paused as he entered some commands, “Presto! Seska’s locked in. I just cut off her commbadge and all power to the room, except to the emergency forcefields of course. Let’s hope we can get this operation underway before someone try’s to contact her with a status report.”

The newly armed group made their way out of the briefing room and back onto the bridge, ignoring the yells that had already begun to drift in from the Captain’s ready room.

“Tuvok, set up a security grid through the ship, you should be able to configure it to shut down the fields for select personnel. Key it into our commbadges and those of the senior staff, as well as Sawra, Carey, and Ayala. We’ll worry about who else to trust later.”

Tuvok nodded and took the tactical station, activating the security countermeasures on all decks and carefully inputing Tom’s comands. “I will require several minutes to enter your conditions Mr Paris.”

Tom nodded and stepped over to the Ops station, followed closely by Harry. “The Kazon are still out there, I wonder why they haven’t made a move yet?”

Harry shrugged. “I don’t know, maybe they are waiting for some signal from Seska?”

“Maybe. Doesn’t matter right now anyway. We have problems that are a little closer to hom to deal with.”

A few moments later Tuvok announced that he was finished and the group abandoned the bridge, taking the lift to deck four and the security offices. On deck four the turbolift opened to a familiar scene to many of the crewmen who where still walking free through Voyagers cooridors. Looks of consternation followed the grim-faced group that strode with purpose toward the the security office.

In a warped reflection of earlier actions crewmen found themselves caught between the temptation to warn the mutineers and loyalty to the Starfleet command of the ship. One Crewman who began to side with the mutineers soon found himself facing the stony visage of Tuvok and the unwavering phaser rifle in the hands of Thomas Eugene Paris.

“Sorry about this crewman.” Tom leveled his rifle on the mans chest and fired a short stun burst, dropping the man in his tracks.

“Tuvok, pull him out of the corridor and takes his commbadge.”

The Vulcan reached down and grabbed the crewman by one arm and drug him into a nearby room, deftly palming the man’s commbadge and sealing the door as he left. He arrived back at the group as Tom Paris was looking over three other crewmembers who had been in the corridor.

“Tuvok?”

Tuvok looked over the woman and two men, knowing what Paris was asking. “They arn’t part of the conspiracy Sir.”

Tom nodded, “Return to your quarters unless you want to get caught in the middle of this.”

The crewmen nodded and gratefully split up, heading in different directions. Tom led his group along the corridors until they found themselves outside Voyager’s security office.

“Tuvok, you take point. Chakotay and I will follow you in after thirty seconds. Harry, cover the corridor.”

Tuvok nodded, and glanced at Chakotay and Harry as they took up their positions. When the group was ready he handed his phaser rifle to Tom and strode the door. Four mutineers had taken up positions in Security and were mildly surprised when Tuvok entered the room.

“What are you doing down here Tuvok?” The guards had relaxed and lowered their phasers.

“Seska sent me down to check on your status.”

“Were fine Tuvo-“

The man was cut off in mid sentence as Tuvok swung his arm up, hand phaser coming to bear on one of the guards. Behind him he was flanked by Tom and Chakotay as they came in on either side of him, their own phasers firing in tight, controlled, beams.

“Clear! Harry, move in here.”

From outside they heard Harry’s voice, “Coming in Tom.”

As Harry stepped into the room Paris and Tuvok began dropping the brig force fields, freeing the imprisoned crewmembers.

“B’Elanna! Are you ok?” Chakotay moved over to the cell as the occupants filed out.

“I’m fine Chakotay, but Jonas wont be when I get my hands on him.” Harry and Chakotay both took a step back from the blazing emotion pouring out of the half klingon. Only Tuvok and Paris were oblivious to the waves of fury washing off of her.

“You’ll get your chance Torres. Engineering is our next target.” Tom lightly tossed B’Elanna a phaser rifle from the weapons locker while Tuvok activated the computer display, calling up the direct link to the internal sensors and entering the coordinates for engineering.

“Miss Torres, who remained in Engineering after you were beamed out?”

B’Elanna stopped for a moment, thinking. “Jonas and his team, Ensign Cabot and Crewman Tial. They also kept some of my crew, including Carey. I’m not sure who else though, they didn’t send everyone here from what the guards said.”

Tuvok nodded. “Seska ordered that only those assumed to be most loyal to starfleet or Mr Paris would be sent to the brig, whatever the reason she must have beleived that she could sway the others to her point of view.”

“Carey?” B’Elanna scoffed, “She’s delusional.”

“Be that as it may Lt Torres, the rest of the crew are more then likely composed of either nuetral parties or those loyal to Seska.”

Tom stepped between them, interjecting a question. “Tuvok, how many crewman are left free on the ship?”

Tuvok looked at his scanners, “thirty five in the brigs, almost a hundred in cargo two. It would appear that there are only forty three remaining free in the ship, discounting Seska and her guards here and in cargo bay 2.”

“Still too many to use the transporters to round up. We don’t have the people to guard all those without the brig forcefields, and there are too many of them for the brig.”

“Agreed. We must take back Engineering first so that we can establish direct control over the ship from a defensible position.” Tuvok finished as he completed a power check on his phaser rifle. “Mr Paris, if you still have control over the site to site transport subroutines we can beam into this part of Engineering without being noticed.”

Tom looked at the section that Tuvok was pointing to. “Are you sure Tuvok?”

“Affirmative. That section will mask our beam in, both visually and audibly.”

B’Elanna looked at the display. “He’s right Paris.”

Tom looked between the two, musing for a moment at the odds of them agreeing. “Alright, we beam in there.”


* * *


The blue sparkles of the transporter beam released armed group into engineering, Tom Paris swung his phaser around the small alcove, searching for a target in the darkened area.

"B'Elanna, you and Tuvok take point. Try to keep Jonas awake, we may need to question him. Anyone else whose armed I want taken down as fast as possible."

The group moved fluidly out of the alcove, their phaser rifles already swinging to track targets as the surprised group of mutineers in Engineering tried to react. Within seconds it was over, the five mutineers lying unconcious on the ground from stun blasts and Jonas struggling desperatly to keep B'Elanna's hands from grasping his throat.

After securing the unconcious mutineers with manacles from security Tom turned to find Carey and Sawra trying to pull B'Elanna off Michael Jonas. Amused he watched the spectacle for a moment before intervening.

"Carey! Sawra! Back off."

The two fleeters let go of Torres, looking in surprise at Paris as he aproached. A strangled gurgle from Jonas let them know that B'Elanna's fingers had finally reached their target. Both Sawra and Carey tried to protest but Tom just waved them offand kneeled beside Jonas and clucked in a chiding manner.

"Jonas, Jonas, Jonas. You're in a lot of trouble right now, but I think I can help you out. First your going to have to help us out though."

The fear in Jonas' eyes would have been enough of an answer even if he hadn't strugled to nod his head.

"B'Elanna, loosen the grip a bit. I can't hear a word he's saying." Tom waited a moment, when no action was taken by Torres he spoke sharply, "Now Luetenant Torres!"

The fog of rage cleared in Torres eyes enough for her to recognize the order and relax her grip on Michael Jonas' throat.

"what... what do you want to... to know?" Jonas spoke with a rasping voice between breaths.

"oh nothing much. The names of every conspirator, who your contact is with the Kazon, how you manged to communicate with them without tripping every security alarm on the ship. That sort of thing."

For a brief moment it looked like Jonas would object, then the tightening noose of B'Elanna's fingers swayed the scales back in their favor.

"Alright! Alright! I'll talk, just get her off of me!"

"You heard the man Torres, back off."

Reluctantly B'Elanna released her grasp of Johnas' neck and stood up, as she sturned to walk off Tom and the other could hear her spit one word under her breath. "Coward."

Tom and Tuvok hefted the still wheezing conspriator off the deck and manhandled him into the chiefs office and unceremoniously dropped him at a terminal.

"get to work. Every detail about the conspiracy." Tom looked around, "Sawra, come in here and keep an eye on him. If he so much as mispells a word, shoot him."

Sawra grinned in such a way to show that he wouldn't be opposed to following that order, leaving Jonas with a crawling sensation moving along the back of his neck. Jonas had turned to his task as Tuvok and Tom stepped out into main engineering.

"That was a risk you took Mr paris, why did you permit Ms Torres to continue her attack on Mr Jonas?"

Tom smiled slightly, "Because, B'Elanna's opinion of Mr Jonas notwithstanding, the man is hardly a coward. A coward would never have lasted as long as he did in Chakotay's cell. I remembered certain rumors that were passed around while I was on Chakotay's ship, it seems that Mr Jonas thought B'Elanna would be an easy target when she first came aboard. From what I understand he was found the next morning in a, shall we say, comprimising position with a cardassian hand grenade."

Tuvok raised a solitary eyebrow. "So you surmised that there would be sufficient cause for Jonas to believe that Ms Torres would carry out her threat?"

"Something like that Tuvok."

The conversation was cut short by a klingon curse and the sound of B'Elanna striking a control panel. "I'm locked out of all the systems!"

"Relax Leutenant, Computer release command controls to all senior officers. Authorization Paris Cloak and Dagger."

"Command codes released."

Just as B'Elanna had begun working on the systems the ship shuddered as if struck.

"Harry! Call up the sensors and find out whats going on."

Kim nodded and began entering commands into a station, calling up a link with the Ops panel on the bridge. "The Kazon have gotten tired of waiting Tom! They've locked several tractor beams onto us and are towing Voyager toward a nearby star system."

"ETA?"

"About sixteen hours, even with the five ships they have towing us they can't seem to get much above warp one."

"Good that buys us some time to regain complete control. Tuvok, go check on Jonas. We're going to need that information."

Tuvok turned on his heel and returned to the chief's office, leaving Tom worrying about how to retake the ship before the Kazon managed to establish an unbreakable prison for Voyager.


* * *


Twently minutes later the entire counter-conspirator circle had gathered back in the security offices and, after depositing their new prisoners in the brig, were planning the final step to retake Voyager.

"Tuvok, you and Sawra are going to each take a team to free the hostages in Cargo bays one and two. B'Elanna's working on getting warp power back now but she'll need a full complement as soon as possible."

Tuvok and Sawra nodded and began arming their assault teams while Tom continued, "Chakotay, Harry, O'neal, you three are with me. We're heading back to the bridge to prepare for combat maneuvering. One way or another I don't think the Kazon will let us go without a fight."

The group nodded and split up, Tom leading his team to the bridge and the rest heading for the cargo bays.


* * *


On the bridge Tom slipped into the Captain's chair. "Harry, how many Kazon are there now?"

After clearing his board Harry entered a command, "Still the twelve of them Tom. Five are ahead of us dragging Voyager along with tractor beams, the rest are arrayed in a pretty standard escort formation."

"Alright, Chakotay we'll need an evasion sequence ready when we break free. I don't want to take Voyager up against a dozen Kazon warships."

Chakotay nodded and began entering a course into the computer. "Aye Sir."

Tom glanced at the back of Chakotay's head in surprise for a moment before turning to O'neal, "O'neal, lock the Kazon's tractor emitters into the tactical board and send the data to Chakotay."

At O'neal's nod Tom relaxed back into the Captain's chair, everything he could do was done. Now it was up to B'Elanna and the others to complete their assignments.


* * *


"Tuvok to Sawra."

Sawra tapped his badge softly. "Sawra here"

"We are in position Mr Sawra, are you prepared?"

"Aye Sir."

"Good. Move in now."

Sawra closed the connection and nodded to his team, "lets move"

The team burst around the corner, firing short, controlled bursts of phaser fire at the two gurds covering the entrance to cargo bay 2. Both guards were caught by surprise and fell without fireing a shot.

"Timmons, get a reading on the cargo bay."

The crewman in gold nodded and brought up his tricorder, swiftly scanning the bay. "Three signatures that fit phaser rifles Sir. Two on either side of the door and the third is about halfway across the bay and moving this way."

Sawra nodded and positioned himself in front of the big doors leading intot he bay. "On three. One... Two... Three!"

Sawra surged forward, keying the door open and ducking through, looking for the man to the left of the door. Spotting his easily he fired once, catching the mutineer wih a long low stun beam and dropping th man to the ground. Behind him he heard another phaser hum and a thud that sounded the fall of the second guard.

As he and his team swivled fast, searching for the third gunman a phaser beam slashed through the air, ionizing a path by Sawra's shoulder and striking Timmons in the chest. Sawra and two others reacted quickly, their beams finding the target and dropping the last guard.

"Sawra to Paris."

"Paris here."

"Mission accomplished Captain, the hostages are secured."

"Good work, Tuvok just reported in the same. Clear them for duty and get them to their station as soon as possible."

"Aye Sir."

Sawra and the others began running through the crowd, trying to determine if anyone had been hurt before sending them to their stations. "Alright everyone as soona s your cleared for return to duty move immediately to your assigned station. We still have the Kazon to deal with before this is over. Engineering has top priority as of this moment."

* * *


On the bridge Tom was looking over sensor reports on the Kazon's capabilities when B'Elanna's voice came over the comline. "We're ready here Paris. Warp power has been restored and Engineering is again running at full capacity."

"Excellent. Tell your people to prepare for combat manuevers."

"Aye. Torres out."

Tom half turned in his seast as the turbolift doors hissed open and Tuvok stepped out, nodded once to his, and headed for the tactical board. Tom turned his attention back to the sensor reprots until a questioning look fron O'Neal attracted his attention.

Seeing that O'Neal was hesitant to give up the board Tom found himself nodding once, and waving O'Neal back to the standby position so that Tuvok could assume his rightful position.

"Chakotay, are you ready?"

"Aye Mr Paris."

"Good. Harry, drop the metaphasic shielding and return power to all key systems. Mr Tuvok, destroy the Kazons tractor emmiters. When Voyager is free target the Kazon at your discretion to slow their pursuit."

"Aye Sir." Harry's response was followed by a flicker in the ambient lighting as the power drain was stopped and power was returned to Voyager systems.

Tovok didn't respond other then a nod that noone noticed, the ships phasers formed the only evidence that he had heard the order. The brilliant red beams lanced out at the five Kazon warships in quick succession, destroying four of the tractor emmiters without warning. "Four emmiters down Sir. The fifth is still active but weakened."

"Chakotay, break us free."

Voyager pivoted in space, it's warp nacelles rising up as the nimble ship prepared to go to warp. Phaser fire reached out from the sleek starfleet ship, picking off the final emmiter and then targeting the Kazon seemingly at random.

Slowly the Kazon responded in kind, golden beams of energy fireing in a vain attempt to pierce voyagers shields. Each blast having little independent effect, but inside Tom and the others were faced with the cumulative weakening effect the kazon weapons were having on the shields.

"Reroute weapons power to the shields! Chakotay engage the warp drive now!"

Showers of sparks and shard of broken instruments were flying across the bridge as each kazon blast added to the misery of the last. Tom Paris found himself clenching tightly to the Captain's chair, forcing himself to remain seated rather then rushing to the helm. He knew that Chakotay was doing everything possible, but deep inside Tom Paris was a pilot first and desire to be in control during a crises was nearly overwhelming.

He had almost lost what little control he had left when the ship shuddered around him and, the sparkling pinpoints of light on the viewscreen suddenly elongated and whipped past. As the ship smoothed out into warp he mentally forced himself to calm down before speaking.

"Report."


* * *


Captains Log Stadate 48347.2

Voyager sustained only minor injuries during the mutiny crisis, however the crew may be another story. While the mutineers were a small group, numbering only fourteen, much of the crew found themselves uncertain who to side with and that has opened a new rift of distrust between many crewmembers. Unfourtunatly this rift may be the least of out problems. Seska, the mutineers ringleader, was nowhere to be found after the crisis. Computer logs indicate that she beamed to a Kazon vessel at the same time as Ensign Kim had dropped the metaphasic shielding. Presumable she had managed to rig an autonomous transport, but niether Lt Commander Tuvok nor Lt Torres have been able to explain how. The remaining Mutineers have been stripped of rank and privlige and are serving as crewmen in various minimal risk areas of the ship. I have no idea what to do with them at this point, the brig is not a option as we do not have the resources to support a prison population. So, for the moment, I intend to adopt a more progressive approach and hopefully some measure of success will result.

In addtion to the decorations a letters of reccomendation I've already recorded in the ships database I would like to reccomend Esign Lon Suder for the highest awards, to be given postumously after he sacrificed his life to save Lt Commander Tuvok during their raid on the hostages in Cargo bay one.

End Log.








<-- Previous Chapter Index Next Chapter -->