One-Shot Collection

Entry 04: The Return of the Hogwarts Founder (and Harry)

#INCLUDE <std_disclaimer/alternate_universe>
#INCLUDE <std_disclaimer/harry_potter>
Version: <Tue Aug 28 22:34:41 UTC 2012>
Beta-Reader: None.


Headmaster Albus Dumbledore looked over the sea of returning students for another year, smiling at all his students. At least, there was a smile on his face, but it did not reach his eyes. One face was lacking in that sea, and it broke his heart. He had considered Harry Potter as one of his own, even so far as to consider him his Heir, in all but name.

Harry's disappearance but a few days into the summer break, had hit him hard. He truly thought he had the boy's best interest in heart, but he made several assumptions, which had proven to be so horribly wrong.

He had taken steps to correct his over-sights, but apparently, they were too little, too late.

He and the Order had spent the summer looking for young Harry, but could not find hide nor hair of him. At least, Tom had even less luck.

He had hoped that the rift between the two of them was repairable, and he was going to make every effort this school-year to mend their relationship. He had, once again, assumed that Harry would return, only to prove the old Headmaster wrong again.

He was about to signal Professor Minerva McGonagall to begin the sorting, when the Wards of Hogwarts alerted him to an incoming portal key. Which greatly worried him, as only the Headmaster of the School could create portal keys into and out of Hogwarts.

He had just gotten out of his seat, with his wand drawn, when he felt a wave of pure power wash over him, forcing him back into his chair.

The power was unlike any he had encountered before. With a bit of effort, he was able to stand up once more, and look at who had invaded his home.

Surprised, there was not a legion of Death Eaters or the like, but rather, merely five individually stood in the space between the Head Table and the four House tables.

His eyes widen in surprise as he realized that the power he felt was just simply the five's individual presences. Just one of them were easily his and Tom's superior in raw power, even together they would be hard pressed to match such a level, and worse, this was but their relax, stand-by level, their mere presence. This was not a display of strength or ability. This was mere how they were.

Added to his suprise, each of the strangers held not wands, but Magestaffs. A Magestaff was not an over-sized wand, rather it was the physical manifestation of a wizard's mastery over his magic and the elements. A Magestaff was made from the five elements, and nothing else. There was no runes, no magical foci, or anything that went into a modern-day wand within a Magestaff. The knowledge to create one was lost long before his day, as well as, the knowledge to properly haress the elemental magic involved.

Next he noted that there was a wizard in the center, with a wizard both in front and back of the center wizard, and a witch on either side of the center wizard.

All five wore old-fashion robes that the Old Pureblood families had for Official Functions.

Gathering his Gryffindor courage and his magical reserves, he inquired in a commanding voice, "What is the meaning of this? Who are you?"

The center wizard laughed. It was a rich, deep laugh of one that knew the punchline to a great joke. The center wizard spoke with both a hidden power and equally commanding voice, "Esteemed Headmaster, Members of the Faculty and Student Body of Hogwarts, I am honored to present to you --"

The center wizard motioned to the wizard in front of him and introduced him to everyone present, "Lord Godric Gryffindor! Lord and Founder of the House of Gryffin. Master Alchemist of Hogwarts and Wizard-Knight of the Realm."

Gasps of surprise and awe filled the Great House, for indeed the resemblance to the legendary Founder was beyond doubt.

The wizard turn to his left and introduced, "Lady Rowena Ravenclaw! Lady and Founder of the House of Phoenix. Battle Mistress of Hogwarts and Warrior-Witch of the Realm."

Cheers and exclamations came from the Ravenclaw House table.

The wizard turned to his right and introduced, "Lady Helga Hufflepuff! Lady and Founder of the House of Darkness. Druidess and Necromancer of Hogwarts."

Screams and denials were shouted. Several of those at the Hufflepuff House table fainted.

Gestering to the wizard slightly behind and to his right, the center wizard continued with his introduction. "Lord Salazar Slytherin! Lord and Founder of the House of Dragon. Wizard-Knight of the Round Table and Guardian of the Realm."

A silence could be felt within the Great Hall, such was the shock and incomprehension that reigned.

The center wizard finished, "Hogwarts, I present to you, your Founders."

The center wizard gestered towards the Head table and stated, "Esteemed Founders, the Faculty of Hogwarts."

The center wizard started, "Founders, front and center, we have Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster and Alchemist. One of the last to take alchemy as an elective here at Hogwarts. The Board of Govornors felt that Alchemy was too complex an Art for mere students. Thus, they divided the noble Art of Alchemy into the Art of Transfiguration, the Science of Potions, and the Science of Arithmancy. Professors McGonagall, Snape, and Vector are the instructors of those fields. Professor McGonagall is also the Deputy Headmistress and Head of Gryffindor House, home of the Lions. Professor Snape is the Head of Slytherin House, home of the Snakes. Professor Flitwick is the Head of Ravenclaw House, home of the Ravens, and Hogwart's Charm Master. Professor Sprout is the Head of Hufflepuff House, home of the Badger, and Hogwarts's Herbology Expert."

The center wizard proceeded to correctly name the rest of the faculty, even those not present, as well as the absence of a regular Defense Agaisnt the Dark Arts professor.

He then turned to the Gryffindor Table and said formally, "Hail Ronald of the Founding Family Weasleys!"

The four Founders echoed him.

He looked at Ron Weasley with a smile on his face. He then turned Ron's sister and added still speaking formally, "Hail Ginerva of the Founding Family Weasleys! True Lions of Gryffindor House!"

A lion's roar could be heard coming from all directions, yet faint not to startle or scare anyone.

He turned to look at Hermione and formally stated, "Hail Hermione! First of her Line!" In a humorious voice, he added, "A hungry lioness that feeds on books."

The Founders echoed the central wizard's statement with smiles. Lord Slytherin added, "Your First Ball will be the star of the years to come."

Hermione and others looked puzzled at that.

The central wizard coughed and spoke softly in a voice that carried gently over the room, "Alas, Lord Slytherin, it has been over a century since there has been a First-Blood Ball. The Upstarts used the last ball to destroy the Paxium... Sadly, the Upstarts have been sure to prevent any revival of the Old Tradition."

Lord Slytherin did not look happy at that. Nor did the other Founders.

"It is something that I will see about correcting, my good fellow," the wizard replied. He then turned to Neville and stated formally, "Hail Neville of the Founding Family Longbottoms. A gryffin among lions!"

The Founders echoed him and Lord Gryffindor added, "Your family shall be proud of you, young hatchling."

Neville looked embarassed but determined, he stated formally, "Hail Harry of the Wizard Council Potters! A dragon among mortals. To Gildenium we shall sing."

Ancient magic could be felt flowing through the Great Hall.

With a smile and a laugh, Harry answered, "To Gildenium and back, my brother of deeds. And back! For we shall spit in the eye of the Dark One and live!"

Lord Gryffindor laughed with Harry and replied, "A true Gryffindor, hatchling. Blessed be." With that, the feeling of Ancient Magic left.

Lord Slytherin undertone humorous comment was heard by all, "He'll need it, then."

Lady Ravenclaw hit Salazar over his head and whispered, "Hush."

Several of the girls and female professors in the Great Hall giggled at Rowena's action.

Harry turned to the Ravenclaw table and formally continued, "Hail Cousin Luna of the Wizard Council Lovegoods. A delightful breeze of fresh air in a world of stale."

Luna replied, "Hail Harry, Cousin and Friend."

Others expected Loony Luna to say something more, but she did not.

"Just as there is a true Gryffindor," Lady Ravenclaw began, "I see there there is a true Ravenclaw as well. Fly straight, young raven, and you soar with the Eagles."

Luna blushed at the compliment from the Founder of her House.


[Plot Points:


Index