One-Shot Collection

Entry 06: Bloodstone

#INCLUDE <std_disclaimer/alternate_universe>
#INCLUDE <std_disclaimer/harry_potter>
Version: <Date Stamp>
Beta-Reader: None.


Note: This has been sitting on my computer for some time, pre-OotP or so.

Setting: AU Fifth Year
Ignores OotP, HBP, and DH
Great Hall, Hogwarts
Lunch Time, Mid-School Year
=============

"What is it?" someone asked from the crowd of Hogwarts students, and faculty, who stood in the Hogwarts Great Hall.

In a voice many had come to dub 'Professor Potter', Harry answered, "It's a bloodstone."

Only a few of the Pure-blooded gasped while the others looked on in puzzlement.

Minister Fudge held the bloodstone. He was showing it off as if the bloodstone made him Merlin, and none could touch him.

Annoyed, Hermione asked, "What is a bloodstone?"

Professor Potter explained, "It's a magical artefact that can determine one's ancestry and abilities with three drops of blood. It can also determine's one's magical strength and potential. As such, it can prove or disprove one's purity, and standing within the magical world."

Still annoyed, Hermione continued, "So why haven't I read anything about it them?"

"Bloodstones are very rare," Harry answered with a shrug. "They're limited to the Old Families and never seen out those families' possessions."

Seeing that Hermione was going to say something, Harry added, "They're used almost exclusively with Family Magic and blood magic. As you should have read, anything do with Family Magic is held very private and kept among the greatest of the Wizardary World's secrets."

Those Purebloods that knew of bloodstones, nodded their heads in agreement. One just did not speak of Family Magic or even bloodstones save among family. And even then, only between father and son, mother and daughter, or Family Head and Family Heir.

Hermione was looking at Harry letting him know that she was going to be grilling him on Family Magic and all, very soon and very detailed. Harry sighed as he realized that Hermione, being muggleborn did not understand. Even he, being muggle-raised and with a muggleborn witch for a mother, understood. There were legimate needs to keep certain magics and ability within the Family. She could not feel the magic that Harry got from his father's family, nor even what he got from his mother. He felt sorry for her. It was something he could not put into words.

Family Magic was more than just the magic that was unique to a Family. It was the Family. Branches of families would have similar but still different magics to them. This unique magic and the history of using magic was what separated the old Families from the new-bloods and the first generation wizards and witches. It was more than just spells, lore, and books passed down from generation to generation. It was more than what happened with a muggle family who had been in a single business for many generations.

It was something wonderful!

It was something mysterious!

It was something mystical!

It was Potter Magic that truly made him a Potter, not James Potter marriage to Lily Evans. From the moment of conception, he was a Potter.

And a bloodstone was the key.

If only he knew what he knew now when he was eleven. How much easier everything would have been.

What was, was.

"So we've established what a bloodstone is," Professor Potter remarked. "But not why you've brought one to Hogwarts, Fudge? Especially, as the usage of one is prohibitted by the Ministry, and has been for several hundred years. The penalty as I understand it is a life-time sentence in Azkaban."

"Oh?" Hermione prompted.

"Seems one of the Ministers was not as pure as he claimed when he attempted to use a bloodstone," Professor Potter lectured. Someone in the background snickered. "The fall-out from that little incident gave raise to several laws on the public usage of bloodstones from then on. To avoid such an embarassment from happening again. And yes, Hogwarts, in regards to bloodstones, is consider public grounds. In fact, the penalty for usage of a bloodstone on Hogwarts grounds is a Dementor's Kiss."

"Now see here," Minister Fudge exclaimed, his face had paled as he realized his original plans were in jeopardy.

Harry smirking at the Minister, remarked, "Oh, I'm not accusing you of anything, Fudge, just stating the Law. Besides, the practice of adding another's blood to strengthen one's own magic has been outlawed by the Ministry for three hundred years, labeled as dark magic."

Hermione was not used to being the one that was confused and uninformed. It was a feeling she did not like, not one bit. In fact, what little she did find on magic and blood seemed to say that it would weaken a wizard that preformed such dark magic. But, all the seven years and maybe of the younger pure-blooded wizards and witches were agreeing with Harry. And Harry never spoke of things he did not know. Frustrated, her voice was a bit more edgy and sharper then normal as asked, "And how does adding blood increase one's magic?"

"Despite the misunderstood concept of so-called blood-purity that exists today," Professor Potter remarked. "Blood isn't magical, per say." He intoned, "blood is blood."

Several of the students looked around worrily, while Minister looked like he was going to protest but was silent by several Auror's looks.

Harry continued in a lecturer's voice, "Regardless of who you are, when blood first flows through your veins. It's just blood, no different if you're a muggle, a squib, or a wizard. But, as you age, magic becomes infused into your blood. But only as long as that blood is within you. Take it out, regardless how, and it quickly loses that magic. But any blood, magical or not, retains a bit of an echo of whatever it came from. This echo can be added to a wizard or witch, whom can take on some of the physical attributes or talents of the donor."


Index